F, #10817, b. circa 1833, d. 7 November 1856
- Birth*: Elisabeth Coutts was born circa 1833.1
- Married Name: As of 10 December 1853, her married name was Milne.1
- Marriage*: She married Alexander Hodge Milne, son of James Milne and Marjory Matthew, on Saturday, 10 December 1853 at Liff, Benvie & Invergowrie, Forfarshire, Scotland; Liff 10th December 1853 This day Alexander Milne and Elisabeth Coutts both of this parish gave up their names to be proclaimed in order to marriage.1
- Death*: Elisabeth Coutts died on 7 November 1856 at Seafield Factory, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1856 deaths in the 2nd district of burgh of Dundee in the county of Forfar, ref 1098, Milne Elisabeth married, 1856 November seventh 9h 16m am Seafield Factory Dundee, femaled aged 25 years, parents John Coutts mechanic and Janet Coutts ms Milne, consumption 5 months as cert by P Lyall physician who saw deceased on 7th November, buried Western Burial Ground Dundee as certified by Alex Coutts undertaker, signed Alexr Milne husband present, registered 1856 November 8th at Dundee Alex Leask registrar.2
- (Witness) Memorial Inscription: She is commemorated on the headstone erected by Alexander Hodge Milne in 1856 at Western Cemetery, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. Inscription reads 1856 erected by Alexander Milne in memory of his daughter Janet who died 1st October 1855 aged 11 months. Also his son James who died 2nd October 1856 aged 4 months. Also his wife Elizabeth Coutts who died 7 November 1856 aged 26. Julia died 11th February 1861 aged 6 1/2 months.3,4
- (Spouse) Death: Their spouse Alexander Hodge Milne died on 13 July 1897 at 159 Scouringburn, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1897 death in the district of St Mary in the burgh of Dundee, ref 402; Alexander Hodge Milne jute mill overseer married to 1st Betsy Coutts 2nd to Agnes Langlands 3rd to Betsy Archibald, 1897 July Thirteenth 4h 50m am 159 Scouringburn Dunde, male aged 64 years, parents James Milne jute mill overseer (dec) and Marjory Milne ms Matthew (dec), probably cardiac syncope as cert by W Chlamers Cowan LRCP&S Ed signed JAmes M Miller Newphew 80 HAwkhill, registered 1897 July 13th at Dundee Thos Meek assist registrar initialled JA [Jas Anderson].5
Last Edited: 10 Apr 2014
- [S36] Old Parochial Register of marriage,pre-1855 (General Record Office of Scotland) GROS OPR marriages 1853 Liff Benvie & Invergowrie 301/00 0040 0406.
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Death 1856 Dundee 2nd District 282/02 1093 [March 2014].
- [S53] Alison Mitchell ed. Monumental Inscriptions pre-1855 Dundee & Broughty Ferry vol 4, Scottish Genealogy Society, Edinburgh, first ed (unknown publish date) 0 901061 25 5 Pre-1855 Gravestones Inscriptions in Angus, volume 4 Dundee & Broughty Ferry ed Alison Mitchell [March 2014].
- [S21] Headstone Photograph; , PCC [April 2014].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS Statutory Death 1897 Dundee St Mary 282/02 0402 [March 2014].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS Statutory Death 1855 Dundee Le... District 282/02 0734 [March 2014].