- Birth*: John Runciman was born on 26 August 1856 at Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.1
- He was the son of James Runciman and Ann Moncrieff.
- (Witness) Marriage: John Runciman witnessed the marriage of William Paterson and Ann Runciman on Friday, 24 December 1880 at 13 Union Place, Lochee Road, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1880 marriages in the district of St Marty in the burgh of Dundee, ref 212; 1880 on the 24th day of December at 13 Union Place Lochee Road Dundee after banns and publication according to the forms of the Established Church of Scotland, Wm Paterson powerloom tenter bachelor, 20, 55 Mid Street Lochee, fath John Paterson seaman (dec), moth Mary Paterson ms Findlay, Annie Runciman yarn winder spinster, 21, 11 Union Place Lochee Road Dundee, fath James Runicman farm servant (dec), moth Annn Runciman ms Moncrieff, signed Wm May St Lukes Lochee, wit John Runciman, Jane Ann Paterson, reg 1880 December 29th at Dundee Jas Anderson registrar.2
- (Witness) Memorial Inscription: John Runciman is commemorated on the headstone erected by Ann Runciman in 1927 at Balgay Cemetery, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. Inscription reads P; erected by Ann Runciman In loving memory of her husband William Paterson who died 14th October 1924; also their children John, William, Susan and Charles who died in infancy; The above Ann Runciman died 17th October 1932; And their daughter Mary F Paterson wife of David Hill who died 11th November 1944 aged 50 years; their grandson William P Smart who died in infancy; And of her parents James Runciman and Ann Moncrieff; And her brother and sister John and Jean; small stone below To the memory of Our Dear Father and Mother.3
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index).
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), image held; GROS [Aug 2005].
- [S21] Headstone Photograph; , CPT [Sept 2010].
Mother*: Ann Moncrieff b. 27 Apr 1828, d. 26 Aug 1905