- Birth*: William Ruddiman was born on 8 May 1938 at Mains & Strathmartine, Angus, Scotland, .1,2
- (Deceased) Death*: He died in January 2013 at South Africa, , at age 74 Former craftsman and musician Bill Ruddiman
William (Bill) Ruddiman, who was originally from Craigiebank in Dundee, has died in South Africa at the age of 74.
The accomplished wood craftsman and musician emigrated in 1967 but made several trips back to the city of his birth to visit relatives and friends.
Schooled at St John’s, he left at the age of 15 to pursue his trade as a fitter and turner, and he took a job in the Dundee shipyards that sparked his interest in ?foreign travel. He loved music and was a member of The T-Planters skiffle group that played locally.
Mr Ruddiman joined the Merchant Navy and served on the tanker Lingula which visited ports throughout the Mediterranean.
Back on shore he worked for Logan Engineering and then as a sales representative with A.G. Hossick. He met Lillian Bell and the couple were married in 1963, making their first home in Church Street, Broughty Ferry.
Four years later with two young sons they sailed to Cape Town, South Africa. Settling in the community of Springs in the then Transvaal Province, they had a further son and a daughter.
His children inherited his love for travel and moved to Australia and Canada, and in 1994 Bill and Lillian made their home in the North American country.
In 2006 the Ruddimans returned to Africa after Bill developed heart and respiratory conditions.
He enjoyed his final years in his adopted homeland and he passed away this month in Hillcrest Hospital in the Kwa Zulu-Natal province.
He is also survived by his wife, son and daughter in Brisbane, Australia, daughter in South Africa and eight grandchildren.3
- [S137] Website My Heritage (https://www.myheritage.com) MyHeritage.com contributor RR [Feb 2020].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory births 1938 Mains & Strathmartine 307/23 [Mar 2020].
- [S20] Unknown author, 'article', Dundee Courier & Advertiser, unknown date (DC Thomson, unknown repository reference) obits 29 January 2013.
M, #128, b. 8 May 1938, d. January 2013
Last Edited: 31 Mar 2020