- (Child) Birth*: William Key was born on 28 October 1807 at Lammerton, Monifieth, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1807 page 46/47, Key, William, lawful son to George Key and Isabel Law in Lammerton born 28th of October and baptised the 1st of November.1,2
- He was the son of George Key and Isabel Law.
- Baptism: William Key was baptised on 1 November 1807 at Monifieth, Forfarshire, Scotland.2
- (Groom) Marriage*: He married Elisabeth Myres, daughter of John Myres and Sarah Napier, on 9 December 1838 at Balmossie, Monifieth, Forfarshire, Scotland; Key & Myres; William Key farm servant Balmossie and Elisabeth Myres servant same place were proclaimed Dec 2nd & 9th 1838.3
- (Informant) Birth: William Key registered the birth of Helen Key on 24 June 1855 at East Denside, Monikie, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1855 births in the parish of Monikie in the county of Forfar; Key, Helen not present, female, 1855 June twenty-fourth 7h 10m pm; East Denside Parish of Monikie Forfarshire; father William Key farm servant aged 44 years born Monifieth; married 1838 Monifieth, 3 boys and 3 girls living 1 boy and 1 girl deceased; mother Elizabeth Key ms Mires, her 9th child, aged 35 years, born Marykirk; informant William Key father; registered 1855 July 11th at Monikie William Alexander registrar.4
- (Informant) Death: William Key registered the death of James Key on 15 February 1873 at 32 Dallfield Terrace, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1873 deaths in the district of St Clement in the burgh of Dundee, ref 83; James Key machine fitter journeyman married to Isabella Robertson, 1873 February fifteenth 7h 15m pm 32 Dallfield Terrace Dundee, male 33 years, parents William Key railway surfaceman and Elisabeth Key ms Myres, hepatitis 15 weeks asciles 7 weeks dysentery 12 days as cert by Thomas Richardson MD, signed William Key father Monifieth, registered 1873 February 18 at Dundee Dav Scott registrar.5
- Newspaper Article*: William Key and Elisabeth Myres were mentioned in a newspaper article on 17 December 1888; GOLDEN WEDDING - Mr William Key and Mrs Key, who have resided in Monifieth for about 20 years, celebrated their golden wedding on Saturday evening. The aged couple had with them on the occasion three daughters with their husbands, and one son and his wife, together with thirteen grandchildren. The company spent a very enjoyable evening in a manner appropriate to the interesting event. It may be mentioned that Mr Key is in his 82nd year, while Mrs Key is 72 years of age, and both are hale and hearty. Besides the above mentioned members of their family, they have a daughter in America, and a son engaged as a missionary in China who together have eight children. Mr and Mrs Key have twenty-three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.6
- (Spouse) Death: His spouse Elisabeth Myres died on 25 April 1894 at Gibson's Cottages, Monifieth, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1894 deaths in the parish of Monifieth in the County of Forfar, ref 61, Elizabeth Key married to William Key general labourer, 1894 April twenty-fifth 6h 0m pm Gibson's Cottages Monifieth, f, 76 years, parents John Myres seaman RN (dec) Sarah Myres ms Napier (dec), cause abdominal ulcerated tumour 6 months, haemorrhage exhaustion 1 day as cert by Robert Sinclair Smith LRCPCN, signed George Key son 17 Park Avenue Dundee present, registered 1894 April 26th at Broughty Ferry Robt Morrison registrar.7
- (Deceased) Death*: William Key died on 12 April 1899 at Bayfield Lodge, West Ferry, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, at age 91 1899 deaths in the district of St Andrew in the burgh of Dundee, William Key farm grieve widower of Elizabeth Myres, 1899 April twelfth 9h 10m am Bayfield Lodge West Ferry parish of Dundee, m, 91 years, parents George Key estate joiner (dec) and Isobel Key ms Law (dec), cystitis chronic exhaustion as cert by James Gowans MBCM, William Key son 17 Park Avenue Dundee; registered 1899 April 13th at Dundee Jas Murray registrar.8
- Newspaper Article*: He was mentioned in a newspaper article Broughty Ferry - Death of a Nonagerian. - Yesterday morning there passed away at the residence of his son-in-law, Bayfield Lodge, West Ferry, one who was perhaps the oldest resident in the burgh - namely, Mr William Key, who was 91 years of age last October. Deceased in his younger days was a ploughman, and was engaged on several farms in the northern part of the parish for many years, the later period of his life previous to coming here to reside being spent in Monifieth. Mr Key, whose wife predeceased him some years ago, brought up a family of sons and daughters. One of his sons, William, has laboured for many years in China as a missionary, and he only arrived here from that country on Monday last, just in time to see his aged father before he expired. on 13 April 1899.9
- (Interred) Burial*: He was buried on 14 April 1899 at Lair no 123, section E, Barnhill Cemetery, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, Proprietor of Lair is George Key, harbour porter, 17 Park Avenue; William Key buried on 14 April 1899 age 91 years, widower of Elizabeth Kay, son of George Key and Isobel Low.10
- (Groom) Marriage*: William Key married Elisabeth Myres, daughter of John Myres and Sarah Napier, on 9 December 1838 at Balmossie, Monifieth, Forfarshire, Scotland; Key & Myres; William Key farm servant Balmossie and Elisabeth Myres servant same place were proclaimed Dec 2nd & 9th 1838.3
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), [Jun 2006].
- [S35] Old Parochial Register of pre-1855 (General Record Office of Scotland) GROS OPR 1807 Monifieth 310/00 0040 0095 image held [Mar 2015].
- [S36] Old Parochial Register of marriage,pre-1855 (General Record Office of Scotland) image held: OPR ref 310/ 0060 0283 Monifieth [Sep 2007].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Birth 1855 Monikie ref 22 [Jul 2006].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory death 1873 St Clement Dundee ref 282/03 0083 [Nov 2011].
- [S32] Newspaper Article, British Newspaper Archive, The Dundee Courier and Argus, Monday, December 17, 1888 [Jan 2012].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS Statutory Death 1894 Broughty Ferry Forfarshire, ref 61 [June 2006].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS statutory death 1899 St Andrew Dundee ref 341 [Jun 2006].
- [S32] British Newspaper Archive, The Dundee Courier, page 3, Thursday, April 13, 1899 [Jan 2012].
- [S11] DCC Registry Office: from IB , Snr Admin Assistant, Burial Administration, Liesure & Communities Dept, Dundee Cirt Council, Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee, DD1 1DB; tel 01382 431536; [Feb 2010], Dundee City Council Registrar, Commercial Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland. Hereinafter cited as DCC Registry Office.
- [S13] Website FreeCEN UK Census Online Project (http://www.freecen.org.uk/) FreeCEN 1841; SCT1841-310, Monifieth-Angus, Enum District 1, Civil Parish Monifieth, Folio 1 page 1 [Aug 2007].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS census 1851 [Aug 2007].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation: Parish: Barry; ED: 4; Page: 7; Line: 16; Roll: 680; Year: 1851.Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1851 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: Scotland. 1851 Scotland Census. Reels 1-217. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland. [Nov 2011]
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS census 1861 313/00 002/00 002 [Aug 2007].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS census 1871 310/00 009/00 037 [Aug 2007].
- [S30] LDS 1881 Census [Aug 2007].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation: Parish: Monifieth; ED: 10; Page: 42; Line: 11; Roll: CSSCT1891_103; Year: 1891. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1891 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: Scotland. 1891 Scotland Census. Reels 1-409. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland. [Nov 2011]
John Key b. 27 Feb 1841, d. a 27 Feb 1841
George Key+ b. 16 Mar 1842, d. 29 Nov 1908
Margaret Key+ b. 5 Aug 1845, d. 14 May 1895
Sarah Key+ b. 10 Jul 1847, d. 21 Oct 1919
Ann Key+ b. 12 Aug 1849, d. 16 Aug 1926
Isabell Key b. 12 Feb 1853, d. b 24 Jun 1855
Helen Key+ b. 24 Jun 1855, d. 8 Dec 1924
William Key+ b. 7 Jul 1858, d. 20 Jan 1924