- Birth*: Robert Davidson Nicolson was born in 1904 at St Andrew, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, .1,2
- He was the son of George Kinnear Nicolson and Alison Abbot Crockett.
- (Groom) Marriage*: Robert Davidson Nicolson married Janet Brown Wellard Smith in 1933 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland, .1,3
- (Deceased) Death*: Robert Davidson Nicolson died on 24 December 1963 at 218 Arbroath Road, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, .1,4
- Name Variation: Robert Davidson Nicolson was also known as Bob.1
- (Informant) Death: He registered the death of Alison Abbot Crockett on 2 September 1927 at 17 Leng Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, ; 1927 deaths in the district of St Clement in the burgh of Dundee, ref 833; Alison Abbot Nicolson married to George Kinnear Nicolson mill overseer, died 1927 September Seventh at 6h 40 min am at 17 Leng Street Dundee, female aged 43 years; parents James Crockett ships plater (dec) and Margaret Gordon Crockett ms Abbot, died of sprue (now coeliac disease) duration 5 years as cert by A N Nanda MBChB, signed R D Nicolson son 17 Leng Street present; registered 1927 September 3rd at Dundee signed Alex Buchan registrar.5
- (Informant) Death: Robert Davidson Nicolson registered the death of George Kinnear Nicolson on 30 October 1941 at 51 Reform Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, ; 1941 deaths in the district of St Clement in the burgh of Dundee, ref 790; George Kinnear Nicolson Liberal Rooms Caretaker widower of Alison Abbot Crockett; died 1941 October Thirtieth, found dead 7h 10m am, last seen alive October Twentyninth 10h 30m pm at 51 Reform Street, UR 200 Perth Road; male aged 57 years, parents Robert Davidson Nicolson machine fitter (dec) and Isabella Nicolson ms Yeaman (dec); cause carbon monoxide poisoning from inhalation of coa; gas, seen after death by W Fyffe Dorward MBChB, signed R D Nicolson son 33 Lyon Street Dundee, registered 1941 October 31st at Dundee signed W H Phillips registrar.6
- Newspaper Article*: Robert Davidson Nicolson was mentioned in a newspaper article Owner leaves £12,000 to Dundee cinema manager
Thirty-four years ago Robert Davidson Nicolson, a teenage pupil of Morgan Academy, took an after-hours job as a spool boy in the Royal Cinema, Arthurstone Terrace, Dundee.
Within ten years he was manager, and now his long service has been recognised in the will of the owner, Mr James Fraser, who leaves him one-quarter of his divisible estate - approximately £12,000.
Mr Fraser, an 80-year-old widower, lost his life in an accident at Blairgowrie in May. He had no family.
He left a net heritable and moveable estate valued at £71,467, on which £22,697 is payable in death duties.
In his will, dated August 17, 1939, he also bequeathed one-sixteenth of his estate to Mrs Jean George, who was in the pay box at the Royal for many years, and one-sixteenth to Margaret (Peggy) Morrison, his house-keeper, if in his employ at the date of his death.
Mrs George has since died, and Miss Morrison was not in Mr Fraser's employment in May.
Mr Nicolson, whose home is within a stone's throw of the cinema at 33 Lyon Street, told a "Courier" reporter last night, "When I went there as a boy Mr Fraser was just like a father to me. We always got on very well, although he never mentioned this.
"For a long time he had left the running of the business largely to me, although he called at the cinema every day." on 29 August 1953 at 33 Lyon Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, .7
- [S40] PN [Jan 2010].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Births 1904 Dundee St Andrew ref 282/4 47 no image held [Oct 2016].
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Marriage 1933 Dundee St Clement ref 282/02 0137 [Aug 2015].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Record URL: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?h=15887023&db=UKProbateCal&indiv=try
Source Information: Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
Original data: Principal Probate Registry. Calendar of the Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration made in the Probate Registries of the High Court of Justice in England. London, England © Crown copyright [Mar 2013].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), Statutory Death 1927 Dundee St Clement 282/02 833 image held [Jun 2006].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, Statutory Death 1941 Dundee St Clement 282/02 790, image held [Nov 2004].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) British Newspapers; Dundee Courier and Advertisier Saturday 29 Aug 1953 [Jul 2015].
Robert Davidson Nicolson
Mother*: Alison Abbot Crockett b. c 1884, d. 2 Sep 1927