- Name Variation: Robert Davidson Nicolson was also known as Bob.1
- Birth*: He was born in 1904 at St Andrew, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.1,2
- He was the son of George Kinnear Nicolson and Alison Abbot Crockett.
- (Groom) Marriage*: Robert Davidson Nicolson married Janet Brown Wellard Smith in 1933 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland.1,3
- Newspaper Article*: Robert Davidson Nicolson was mentioned in a newspaper article Owner leaves £12,000 to Dundee cinema manager
Thirty-four years ago Robert Davidson Nicolson, a teenage pupil of Morgan Academy, took an after-hours job as a spool boy in the Royal Cinema, Arthurstone Terrace, Dundee.
Within ten years he was manager, and now his long service has been recognised in the will of the owner, Mr James Fraser, who leaves him one-quarter of his divisible estate - approximately £12,000.
Mr Fraser, an 80-year-old widower, lost his life in an accident at Blairgowrie in May. He had no family.
He left a net heritable and moveable estate valued at £71,467, on which £22,697 is payable in death duties.
In his will, dated August 17, 1939, he also bequeathed one-sixteenth of his estate to Mrs Jean George, who was in the pay box at the Royal for many years, and one-sixteenth to Margaret (Peggy) Morrison, his house-keeper, if in his employ at the date of his death.
Mrs George has since died, and Miss Morrison was not in Mr Fraser's employment in May.
Mr Nicolson, whose home is within a stone's throw of the cinema at 33 Lyon Street, told a "Courier" reporter last night, "When I went there as a boy Mr Fraser was just like a father to me. We always got on very well, although he never mentioned this.
"For a long time he had left the running of the business largely to me, although he called at the cinema every day." on 29 August 1953 at 33 Lyon Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.4
- (Deceased) Death*: He died on 24 December 1963 at 218 Arbroath Road, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.1,5
- Probate*: His estate was probated on 1 April 1964; NICOLSON Robert Davidson of 218 Arbroath Road Dundee died 24 December 1963 at Dundee Confirmatlon of George Kinnear Nlcolson. Sealed London 1 April.5
- [S40] PN [Jan 2010].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Births 1904 Dundee St Andrew ref 282/4 47 no image held [Oct 2016].
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Marriage 1933 Dundee St Clement ref 282/02 0137 [Aug 2015].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) British Newspapers; Dundee Courier and Advertisier Saturday 29 Aug 1953 [Jul 2015].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Record URL: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?h=15887023&db=UKProbateCal&indiv=try
Source Information: Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
Original data: Principal Probate Registry. Calendar of the Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration made in the Probate Registries of the High Court of Justice in England. London, England © Crown copyright [Mar 2013].
Robert Davidson Nicolson
Mother*: Alison Abbot Crockett b. c 1884, d. 2 Sep 1927