- (Child) Birth*: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line was born in 1907; HESPERIAN 1907
The HESPERIAN was built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1907 for the Allan Line. She was a 10,920 gross ton ship, length 485.5ft x beam 60.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 210-1st, 250-2nd and 1,000-3rd class. Launched on 20/12/1907, she left Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 25/4/1908. In January 1910 she was chartered to Canadian Pacific and completed a single round voyage between Liverpool and St John NB. On 4/9/1915 she was torpedoed off Fastnet by the German submarine U.20, and on 6th September she sank 130 miles west of Queenstown (Cobh) after unsuccessful attempts to tow her to port. There were 32 deaths. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.324]3,4
- (Deceased) Death*: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line died on 4 September 1915.3,4
- Photograph: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line is in this photograph taken.3
- (Ship) Passenger List*: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line passenger list included Mary Fisher and Thomas McBride and John Conkie when she sailed on 6 November 1910. Passenger on Hesperian arriving at Quebec out of Glasgow, Mary Oram female aged 63 accompanied by 2 young boys, destination Toronto, religion Presbyterian.5
- (Ship) Passenger List: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line passenger list included Catherine Christie Malcolm Millar and Peter L Barrie and James Reid Millar cabinet maker when she sailed on 4 April 1914 at to Boston USA, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, . Ship Hesperian, Allan steamship line, departure 4th April 1914 bound for Halifax & Boston; names & description of British passengers emabarked at the port of Glasgow; ticket number 1473, Mrs Barrie, second class, contracted to land at Boston, occupation housekeeper, aged 30, last permanent residence Scotland, intended future permanent residence USA.1
- (Ship) Passenger List: Hesperian Ship Allan Steamship Line passenger list included Catherine Christie Malcolm Millar and Peter L Barrie and James Reid Millar cabinet maker when she sailed on 16 April 1914 at from Glasgow, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, . Ship SS Hesperian, sailing from Glasgow Scotland 4th April 1914 arriving port of Boston USA April 16th 1914; Catherine Barrie, aged 30, female, married, h'wife, can read, can write, citizen of Scotland, race Scotch, last permanent residence Scotland Dumbarton, name & address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came - father, Jas R Miller 1 Rock View Dumbarton Scotland, final destination Mas Worcester, has a ticket to such final destination, passage paid by self, in possession of $50, never in United States before, going to join husband Peter Barrie 378 Park Av Worcester Mass, never ..., polygamist, anachist..., in good mental & physical health, not deformed or crippled, height 5ft 6in, fair complexion, dark hair, grey eyes, no ID marks, born Scotland Dumbarton.6
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Information Ancestry.com. UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012. Original data: Board of Trade: Commercial and Statistical Department and successors: Outwards Passenger Lists. BT27. Records of the Commercial, Companies, Labour, Railways and Statistics Departments. Records of the Board of Trade and of successor and related bodies. The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, England. [Nov 2014]
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Information: Ancestry.com. Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Original data: Passenger Lists, 1865–1935. Microfilm Publications T-479 to T-520, T-4689 to T-4874, T-14700 to T-14939, C-4511 to C-4542. Library and Archives Canada, n.d. RG 76-C. Department of Employment and Immigration fonds. Library and Archives Canada Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. [April 2014]
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Ships collection [Apr 2018].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsH.shtml [May 2019].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Ancestry [Mar 2014].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1917-1943; Microfilm Serial: T938; Microfilm Roll: 216 Source Information
Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2006. Original data: Boston, Massachusetts. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1891-1943. Micropublication T843. RG085. 454 rolls. National Archives, Washington, D.C.Boston, Massachusetts. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1820-1891. Micropublication M277. RG036. 115 rolls. National Archives, Washington, D.C.A full list of sources can be found here. [Nov 2014]
?, #10809, b. 1907, d. 4 September 1915
Last Edited: 16 Oct 2019