- Baptism*: Thomas Ormond was baptised on 12 September 1817 at Dunnichen, Forfarshire, Scotland.1
- He was the son of Thomas Ormond and Janet Fleming.1
- (Deceased) Death*: Thomas Ormond died in 1879.3
- Note for Web*: Thomas Ormond From a book published in 1881 entitled Modern Scottish Poets :
"Thomas Ormond was born in 1817 at Whitefoot Burn, in the parish of Dunnichen, Forfarshire. While still young he went to Forfar, where he learned the weaving trade. On the decay of the handloom, he was employed in one of the factories for which the town is famed, and continued in the finishing department of the firm of Messrs John Lowson & Son, until struck down by an incurable disease of his stomach. He was much esteemed by his employers and fellow-workers, who on one occasion presented him with a watch and chain, and collected a sum of money sufficent to supply his wants, and thus, in a measure, soften the days of his severe affliction. He died in 1879. His happiest efforts are in the mildly satirical vein, and there is an absence of malice or ill-nature in even the keenest of his pieces. Many of his verses are possessed of genuine pathos, and appreciable humour."
More info about Thomas and his family here http://www.raitt.org/ormonde.html in 1881.4
- [S35] Old Parochial Register of pre-1855 (General Record Office of Scotland) OPR Births and Baptisms search [Jul 2015].
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), SM [Jul 2015].
- [S40] SM [c Jul 2015].
- [S40] DR http://www.raitt.org/ormonde.html [Jun 2016].
Mother*: Janet Fleming1 b. 24 Sep 1781, d. 29 Dec 1872