Margaret Baxter Matthew1
F, #14239, b. 1920, d. 14 October 2005
- Birth*: Margaret Baxter Matthew was born in 1920 at Barrackpore, Bengal, India; First name(s) Margaret Baxter
Last name Matthew
Birth year 1920
Birth date 1920
Baptism year 1920
Baptism date 1920
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name Matthew
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Archive reference N-1-444
Catalogue descriptions Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal
Record set British India Office births & baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain.1,2
- She was the daughter of Robert Rollo Matthew and Margaret Somebody.1
- Engagement: Margaret Baxter Matthew and John Duff Gordon Cruickshank were engaged on 9 November 1949 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland; The engagement is announced between J D Gordon Cruickshank and Mrs I Cruickshank, Fochabers, 339 Blackness Road, Dundee, and Margot Baxter, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs R R Matthew, 103 Magdalen Road, and Alliance Mills Bengal.3
- Marriage*: Margaret Baxter Matthew married John Duff Gordon Cruickshank, son of Alexander Cruickshank, on Saturday, 3 June 1950 at Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's), St Clement, Dundee, Angus, Scotland; CRUICKSHANK - MATTHEW - On June 3, 1950, at Dundee Paarish Church (St Mary's), by Rev George M'Gregor, MA, J D Gordon Cruickshank, only son of the late Alexander Cruickshank and of Mrs I Cruickshank, Fochabers, Blackness Road, Dundee, to Margot Baxter, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs R R Matthew, 103 Magdalen Yard Rd, Dundee.4,5,6
JD Gordon Cruickshank and Margot B Matthew wedding; June 3, 1950, Dundee Courier
Photograph by Pat
- Newspaper Article*: Margaret Baxter Matthew and John Duff Gordon Cruickshank were mentioned in a newspaper article AMATEUR OPERA STAR WEDS AT DUNDEE
A picturesque gown was worn by Miss Margot Matthew, well known amateur operatic principal, when she was married in Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's), on Saturday.
She is the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs R. R. Matthew, 103 Magdalen Yard Road, Dundee, and her groom was Mr J. D. Gordon Cruickshank, only son of Mrs I. Cruickshank and the late Mr Alexander Cruickshank, Fochabers, 339 Blackness Road, Dundee.
Miss Matthew, who is a member of Dundee and Carnoustie operatic societies, had chosen a gown with delicate pink foundation which gave a depth of tone to her toilette. A French gown, it was of guipure lace over pink tulle. Below the deeply-cut bodice the skirt had a princess opening to reveal a charming panel of snow-white and pink pleated tulle, and behind this the lace swept back to form a train.
A long spray of apple blossom falling from the waistline emphasised the line of the skirt. From a headdress of French pearls was draped the veil of gossamer tulle richly embroidered with silver (lent by Mrs Legg, Loftus House). It was worn over the bride's face as she entered the church, and she carried an ivory-bound prayer book.
Her bridesmaids, Miss Maisie Cruickshank, groom's sister, and Miss Mary Menzies, completed the old-world picture in bouffant dresses of mist blue net. Richly embroidered with rosebuds, they were swathed above the rucked bone corsages with pleated stoles of mist blue net. Their headdresses and bouquets were of pink roses.
Best man was Mr Charles D. Anderson, and the ceremony was by Rev. George M’Gregor, Lochee East. Ushers were Messers Tom Matthew, John Black and Tom Gorrie.
Reception was in Kidd’s Rooms. on 5 June 1950.5,6
- (Deceased) Death*: Margaret Baxter Matthew died on 14 October 2005 at Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.7
Last Edited: 7 Nov 2016
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Passenger Lists TNA_BT27_1055_00_0050_P_0003F [Sep 2016].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns- Births & Baptisms Transcription URL of this page: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bl%2fbind%2fb%2f612277 [Sep 2016].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspaper Dundee Courier 1949 Nov 9 [Sep 2016].
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, unknown subject in "GROS Statutory Marriage", listserve message to Edinburgh, Scotland, unknown original date, GROS Statutory Marriages 1950 Dundee St Clement, ref 282/02 0329 no image held [Sep 2016].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspaper Dundee Courier 1950 Jun 5 [Sep 2016].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspaper Dundee Evening Telegraph 1950 Jun 5 [Sep 2016].