- Birth*: John Moffat Adamson was born on 5 October 1889 at 1 Helen Street, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1889 births in the district of Forfar in the county of Forfar; #315; 1889 October fifth 10h 45m pm 1 Helen Street Forfar; m; William Adamson grocer master, Margaret Adamson ms Cameron, 1888 December 19th Laurencekirk; William Adamson father present; 1889 October 23rd at Forfar W H Thomson registrar; GROS statutory births 288/00 0315 image held [July 2008].
- He was the son of William Adamson and Margaret Cameron.
- Marriage*: John Moffat Adamson married Selina Alice Pepall circa 1911.2
- Death*: John Moffat Adamson died on 13 October 1938 at Johannesburg, South Africa, , at age 49; Probate 1940: Adamson John Moffat of Springs Transvaal Province South Africa died 13 October 1938 at Johannesburg Administration (wil Will) (limited) Llandudno 28 November to Barclays Bank (Dominion Colonial and Overseas) attorney of Selina Alice Adamson widow and Lascalles Raymond Bobbins Birt. Effects £531 5s. in England.3
- Milit-Beg*: He began military service on 3 October 1915 and served with the Kings Own Scottish Borders. His regimental number was 20920 and he was a private. The first theatre of war he served in was the Balkans and he was awarded all three WW1 medals - the 1915 star, the British War medal and the Victory Medal (affectionately referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred after comic strip characters of the 1920s).4,5
- Anecdote forWeb*: Qualified as a Mining Engineer in Edinborough. Managed a tin and diamond mine in West Africa in Sierra Leone, moved to Rhodesia where he Managed an Asbestos Mine at Shabani and was appointed Mine Manager of East Daggafontein Gold Mine on the East Rand Transvaal. He married my grand mother, Selina Peppal in Johannesburg and died at a young age from cancer of the stomach in retrospest thought to have been caused by the asbestos. He tried his luck at sugar farming on the North Coast of Natal but failed due to drought and fire. Zilla Hulett of the Hulett Sugar Empire said that he was a lovely person but never cut out to be a farmer.6
- http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/14332681/person/245853546 David Birt
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14332681/family/familygroup?fpid=245853546 member David Birt [Nov 2014].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Information: Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Original data: Principal Probate Registry. Calendar of the Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration made in the Probate Registries of the High Court of Justice in England. London, England © Crown copyright. [Nov 2014]
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation: The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls; Class: WO 329; Piece Number: 1114.
1st KOSB regiment Source Information: Ancestry.com. UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Original data: War Office and Air Ministry: Service Medal and Award Rolls, First World War. WO329. The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey, England. [Nov 2014]
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Medal Card Source Information: Ancestry.com. British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: Army Medal Office. WWI Medal Index Cards. In the care of The Western Front Association website.[Nov 2014]
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/14332681/family/familygroup?fpid=245853546 members David Birt & pjlbirt [Nov 2014].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS census 1891 288/00 021/00 015 image held [July 2008].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS census 1901 288/0A/ 012/0A 009 image held [July 2008].
John Moffat Adamson
Mother*: Margaret Cameron b. 24 Nov 1865, d. 7 Jun 1916
My Adamson Folk - descendant chart
Adamson, David c1765 descendants
Crighton, John c 1731 descendants
Doughtie, William c1700 descendants
Galoway, Rebeca c1720 descendants
Hall, Jannet c1770 descendants
Mennons, John c1720 descendants
Neave, James c1756 descendants
Richie, Agnes c1700 descendants