F, #9466, b. 29 May 1842, d. 1871
- Birth*: Jane Watt was born on 29 May 1842 at Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland.1,2
- She was the daughter of Andrew Watt and Jane Gibson.1
- (Awarded to) Award*: Jane Watt was awarded the an unknown person on 1 August 1853 at Haddington, Haddingtonshire, Scotland, Kathryn Groves
1 July 2015 ·
Just received the little book belonging to a family member from 1853. Perfect condition, and will be put in with the family history for future generations. I am unsure if the reading material is that exciting but a very special piece to have back with in the family!
You and 5 others like this.
Alicia Heard Cool r u guna read the book
Like · Reply · 1 July 2015 at 06:53
Kathryn Groves might be a nice book for Isabelle, it is called "the Rise and Progress of Religion in the Soul' by Dr Doddridge
Like · Reply · 1 July 2015 at 06:54
Alicia Heard Oh yeah def good book for her lol
Like · Reply · 1 July 2015 at 06:55
Kathryn Groves unfort i can't get a decent pic of the hand writting in side but inside it reads:- A Prize To Jane Watt for Writing and Grammar High Schools Haddington August 1 1853
Kathryn Groves's photo.
Like · Reply · 1 · 1 July 2015 at 07:03 · Edited
Coral Sommers Wonderful
Like · Reply · 1 July 2015 at 07:35
Pat Carson Fantastic! How wonderful to have something of that age!
Like · Reply · 1 · 1 July 2015 at 10:05
Kathryn Groves Pat Carson i thank you for putting me in contact with Elaine for allowing me to have this little book in our family history. I love the power of Email! I still can't believe someone took the time out to do some research and contact you and then to find that they live under an hour away from my home!
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 2 July 2015 at 01:32
Pat Carson You are welcome! smile emoticon
Hi Pat, Thank you So ever much for putting me in contact with Elaine Harrington who wrote to you about a book. I recieved it this afternoon and it is in really great condition (you can see a pic on my 'status) can not quite believe i now have a peice of history to put in with my fam. history box that belonged to a member of my family...thanks again
Just wonderful! Imagine, something that she held, used, maybe even treasured. And 1853 ...
it must have been a treasured peice for Jane as it was presented in Haddington and then when they came to Auastralia it obviously shipped in her trunk of treasures. if there was a child decendant of Jane i would be more then happy to send it onto her line but for now i will get an acid free box and put it with the rest of the family hisotry.
Absolutely brilliant. A tangible connection to Scotland for you and something to pass on to the sprogs once they discover the fascination of family history. Neither of mine show particular interest. Polite, but not enthusiastic ...3
Book awarded to Jane Watt in Haddington before she came to Australia
- Death*: She died in 1871.1
- (Issue of (1855)) Death: Their parent Andrew Watt died on 3 July 1882 at Kangaroo Flat, Victoria, Australia; 1882 deaths in the district of Kangaroo Flat in the colony of Victoria, registered by George O'Donnell, ref 653; died 3rd July 1882 at Kangaroo Flat, Marongshire, county of Bendigo, Andrew Watt baker, male aged 74 years, died of bronchitis chronic 3 months as cert by George O'Donnell last seen 1st July 1882, parents James Watt farmer and Marion Watt formerly Yorston; signed by informant Cecelia [Tully?], friend, Kangaroo Flat, signed deputy registrar George O'Donnell 3rd July 1882 Kangaroo Flat; burial 5th July 1882, Kangaroo flat, undertaker Frederick Farmer, minister Frederick Farmer, witnesses James Gray, Sidney Courtier; born Haddington Scotland, 25 years in Victoria; married Edinburgh Scotland at 32 years old to Jane Gibson, issue Rebecca 41 years, Jane deceased.1,5,6
- (Issue of (1855)) Death: Their parent Jane Gibson died on 17 October 1887 at Kangaroo Flat, Marongshire, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia; 1887 deaths in the district of Kangaroo Flat in the colony of Victoria, registered by George O'Donnell, ref 815; died 17th October 1887 at Kangaroo Flat, Marongshire, county of Bendigo, Jane Watt a widow, female aged 66 years, died of [dropsey?] 3 weeks as cert by P H Magilivary last seen 10th October 1887, parents Charles Gibson carpenter and Rebecca Gibson formerly Ford; signed by informant Charles Watt, grandson, Kangaroo Flat, signed deputy registrar George O'Donnell 19th October 1887 Kangaroo Flat; burial 19th October 1887, Kangaroo flat, undertaker Thomas Layer, minister Thomas Layer, witnesses John Mclaren, Sidney Courtier; born Edinburgh Scotland, 30 years in Victoria; married Dunbar Scotland at 18 years old to Andrew Watt, issue Rebecca 47 years, Jane deceased, James deceased.5
Last Edited: 3 Mar 2018
- [S47] Ancestry.com Ancestry Public Member Trees, Name: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date:2006;, Ancestry.co.uk from PB [Aug 2012].
- [S56] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), [Aug 2012].
- [S61] Website Facebook (www.facebook.com) KG via Facebook [Jul 2015].
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), From KG via Facebook [Jul 2015].
- [S40] KG [June 2014].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Scotland Births & Baptisms 1564-1950 transcription via Family Search 1808 Andrew Watt parents James Watt & Marion Yorston Haddingtonshire Scotland [Jan 2016].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation: Parish: Haddington; ED: 5; Page: 1; Line: 16; Roll: CSSCT1851_192; Year: 1851. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1851 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: Scotland. 1851 Scotland Census. Reels 1-217. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland. [Aug 2012]