- Occupation*: James was DSA Architect Biography Report (August 12, 2011, 12:20 am)
Basic Biographical Details
Name: James Simpson Conway
Born: 23 April 1907
Died: 6 June 1980(?)
James Simpson Conway was born on 23 April 1907 and was articled to John Wittet of Elgin in July 1923. He studied full-time at Aberdeen School of Architecture from September 1925 until June 1928, passing the qualifying exam in July of the latter year. That September he moved to Maidstone to work for the Kent Education Committee, and he was admitted ARIBA at the end of the year, his proposers being Wittet and Wilfred Harold Robinson.
In his later years he lived in Tunbridge Wells and he died there in June 1980, leaving his wife Hilda living at 20 Broadwater Down.
Private and Business Addresses
The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
Queensgate South, London Road, Maidstone, Kent, England
Kent Education Committee, Sessions House, Maidstone, Kent, England
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
Wilfred Harold Robinson (Major)
The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
Source Catalogue No.
RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum
RIBA Nomination Papers
A no4232 (combined box 2)
© 2008, Dictionary of Scottish Architects
Website and database design by Codex Geodata.2
- Birth*: He was born on 23 April 1907 at Byres Road, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland; 1907 births inthe parish of Kilwinning in the county of Ayr, ref 93; James Simpson Conway, 1907 April twenty-third 12h 40m pm Byres Road, male, parents Samuel Meney Conway grocer and Jane Conway ms Lamberton m 1906 June 11 Kilmarnock, signed S M Conway father; 1907 May 8th at Kilwinning ... asst registrar initialled AS (A Speir registrar.)1
- He was the son of Samuel Meney Conway and Jane Lamberton.
- Newspaper Article*: James Simpson Conway was mentioned in a newspaper article GOOD SPORT AT KEMBACK GLEBE.
Blebo Craigs and Kemback sports held on Saturday at the Glebe Park, Kemback, were under good management, and provided a capital afternoon's entertainment. ...
Prize List ...
Boys (under-14) ... Simpson Conway on 28 July 1919.3
- Education: He was educated between September 1923 and August 1925 at Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland; apprentice with John Whittet.
- Education*: He was educated between September 1925 and June 1928 at Aberdeen School of Architecture, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.2
- Graduation*: He was graduated in July 1928 at Aberdeen School of Architecture, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.2
- Qualification*: He was awarded ARIBA in December 1928.2
- (Informant) Death: He registered the death of Samuel Meney Conway on 20 December 1940 at Baptist Manse, Pitlochry, Perthshire, Scotland; 1940 deaths in the district of Moulin in the county of Perth; ref 30; Samuel Meney Conway Baptist Church Minister married to Jane Lamberton; 1940 December twentieth 1h 30m am Baptist Manse Pitlochry; male 59 years; James Conway vanman (dec) Agnes Conway ms Fisher (dec); cancer of bowel as cert by W M Biden MB ChB; F Simpson Conway son Bererley Whitehouse Road Edinburgh; 1940 December 21st at Pitlochry R H Sherwood registrar.4
- (Deceased) Death*: James Simpson Conway died between July 1978 and September 1978 at Tonbridge, Kent, England.5
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory births image held 1907 Kilwinning 599/00 0093 [Aug 2011].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=204934
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspaper & Periodicals 1919-07-28 Dundee Courier [Oct 2015].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory deaths image held 1940 Moulin Perth ref 384/01 0030 [June 2004].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Information: Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office. © Crown copyright. Published by permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Office for National Statistics. You must not copy on, transfer or reproduce records without the prior permission of ONS. Indexes created by the General Register Office, in London, England.
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS census 1911 Auchterderran 405/1 6/19 [Nov 2016].
James Simpson Conway1
Mother*: Jane Lamberton b. c 1877, d. 1965
Carson, Jane c 1790 descendants
Conway, Hugh c 1780 descendants
Fisher, Charles c1765 descendants
Maitland, Agnes c1766 descendants
McConnell, Helen c1765 descendants
McKenzie, Robert c1770 descendants
McWilliam, William c1765 descendants
Pollock, Marion c1770 descendants
Waugh, James c1790 descendants