- Birth*: James Neave was born on 1 October 1864 at Forfar, Angus, Scotland, .1
- He was the son of James Neave and Mary Ross.
- Military Service: James Neave served with the Forfar & Kincardine Militia on 9 December 1881 Forfar Artillery Militia.
- Military Service*: James Neave served with the Royal Scots Fusiliers on 8 October 1885 at Ayr, Scotland, , British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Transcription
First name(s) James
Last name Neave
Birth year -
Birth parish Forfar
Birth town Forfar
Birth county Forfarshire (Angus)
Birth country Scotland
Service number 1850
Regiment Royal Scots Fusiliers - 21st Foot
Attestation date 08 Oct 1885
Attestation service number 1850
Attestation corps Royal Scots Fusiliers
Discharge corps Royal Scots Fusiliers
Document type Attestation
Series WO 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army service records 1760-1913
Archive The National Archives
Archive reference WO 97
Box record number 15
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & service records
Collections from Great Britain
Transcriptions © brightsolid online publishing ltd
Short Attestation of no 1267 James Neave, corps Royal Scots Fusiliers, joined at Ayr, on 9th October 1885; James Neave, born Forfar, Forfar, British subject aged 20 years 0 months, trade or calling tailor, apprenticed at Forfar to Mr W Dick for 5 years; not resided out of father's house for three years etc, not married, not sentenced to penal servitude, not discharged from Her Majesty's Forces, not belonging to or served in Her Majesty's Army, not served in Marines, not belonging to or served in Militia or Militia reserve, not served in Royal Navy, not belonging to the Volunteers or Naval Alltillery Volunteers or Royal aval Reserve Forces, has truely stated the whole if any of previous sevice, not rejected as unfit for Her Majesty's Service, willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated, willing to enlist for general service infantry, received a notice and understand its meaning, given notice by John Blyth of Angus Rifles, willing to serve for term of twelve years etc ...
signed James Neave, signed Andrew H Whitson witness
Description of James Neave on enlistment; age apparently 20 years, physically equivalent to 'above 19', height 5 feet 4 inches, weight 123 ilbs, chest 34 inches, complexion sallow, eyes hazel, hair brown, religious denomination Presbyterian, distinctive marks scar right side of mouth, left side of nose and left cheek, obscure tattooing left forearm.2
- (Informant) Death: James Neave registered the death of James Neave on 2 March 1895 at 9 Coutties Wynd, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1895 deaths in the district of Forar in the county of Forfar, ref 58; James Neave factory worker married to Mary Ross, died 1895 March second 3h 0m am 9 Coutties Wynd Forfar, male aged 56 years, parents David Neave linen weaver (dec) and Isabella Neave ms Calder (dec), cause phthisis pulmonalis 6 months as cert by J Cable LRCP, signed James Neave son present, registered 1895 March 2nd at Forfar signed W H Thomson registrar.3
- [S40] WF [Feb 2006].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Transcription, URL of this page: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f3543%2f115526 [Feb 2016].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Deaths 1895 Forfar 288/0A 0058 image held [Feb 2015].
- [S30] LDS 1881 Census FHL film 0203492 GRO ref vol 288 Enum Dist 4 page 9; 6 New Monthill Street, Forfar, Forfar, Scotland [Jan 2009].
M, #1016, b. 1 October 1864
Last Edited: 24 Jun 2020