- Birth*: John Worrel 24th Regt of Foot was born circa 1765; estim from marriage & children's birth dates.3
- (Groom) Marriage*: He married Hannah Hume, daughter of John Hume publican and Somebody Somebody, on 1 February 1785 at Edinburgh, Scotland, ; January 28th 1785 (page head) : February 1st : John Worrel soldier in 24 Reg of foot Castle of Edinb' and Hannah Hume New Grayfriars Parish Daughter of the deceased John Hume late publican in Coupar Fife.1
- Military Service*: John Worrel 24th Regt of Foot served with the 24th Regiment of Foot (Warwickshire) say 1783 24 Reg of foot from marriage reg.1
- (Witness) History: From the late 18th century to the early 19th, Edinburgh Castle was used to hold military prisoners from England’s many wars. 1757 C.E. – Edinburgh Castle is turned into a prison and holds thousands of military prisoners from the Seven Years War, the American Revolution, and the Napoleonic Wars.4
- (Witness) History: Tamworth, Portsmouth, Winchester, Poole, New Forest, Dover, Berwick and Edinburgh.5
- (Witness) History: The 24th Regiment most certainly had a link with Warwickshire and this commenced on 31 st August 1782 when a Royal Warrant conferred County titles on all regiments not already possessed of special designations such as "The Queen's" or "The King's Own". It was intended that regiments should cultivate a recruiting connection with the Counties whose names they took, and the Twenty Fourth, who were given the tide "2nd Warwickshire", were ordered to send a recruiting party to Tamworth after their return from the American War of Independence. No special link with the County Militia was ever established nor were any Depots or permanent recruiting centres set up in Warwickshire.6
- [S36] Old Parochial Register of marriage,pre-1855 (General Record Office of Scotland) OPR marriages 685/001 0510 0302 Edinburgh [Feb 2010] [and previously GROS 685/01 0051 FR161 no image (2005)].
- [S18] FDCA, online www.FDCA.gov.uk, FDCA (City Square, Dundee), calculation based on possible burial record : Howff File ref 3339 [Feb 2010].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) History of Edinburgh Castle http://www.edinburghcastle.co.uk/history/ [May 2014].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) 24th - 1st Battalion locations 1689-1881; Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon); 20 July 2012; http://royalwelsh.org.uk/downloads/S01-05-24th-1stBattalionlocations1689-1881.pdf [May 2014].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) 24th - Its Welsh links; Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon); 20 July 2012; http://http://royalwelsh.org.uk/downloads/S04-01-24thFootandWelshlinks.pdff [May 2014].
John Worrel 24th Regt of Foot1
M, #1760, b. circa 1765
Last Edited: 18 Jun 2020