- (Child) Birth*: Major William Morton MacKay was born in 1896 at Alness, Ross-shire, Scotland, .2
- (Deceased) Death*: He died on 12 November 1971 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland, .1,2
- Obituary: The obituary of Major William Morton MacKay was was published on 13 November 1971 at Dundee, Angus, Scotland, . Saturday, November 13, 1971
Mr William Mackay dead
A former senior lecturer in engineering at Queen's College. Dundee, Mr William Morton Mackay, 73 Ciepington Road, died yesterday at his home. He was 75.
A native of Alness, Rose Shire, he was educated at Dingwall Academy and Glasgow University, where he gained a B.Sc. degree in engineering.
During the first world war he served with the Seaforth Highlanders and reached the rank of major. While serving in Mesopotamia he was awarded the Military Cross.
In the second world war Major Mackay was in command of the Omicer Training Corps ar St Andrews University.
He moved to Dundee in 1922 as a lecturer at University College. He retired from Queen's Colleges senior lecturer in 1962.
During his university career Mr Mackay was a member of both the University Court and the senate of St Andrews University
He was meinber of Wellgate Free Church of Scotland, Dudhope Street, and served for more than 25 years a session clerk.
He was also convener of the finance committee of the National Assembly of the Free Church. He was a member of the Church's Religious Education Committee.
He is survived by his wife. four sons and four daughters.2
- Biography*: He Major William Morton MacKay MC TD BSc MIEE, Senior Lecturer, Department of Electrical Engineering, Queen's College, Dundee
For more information,
email the repository
accessing these materials
Cite this description
This material is held at
University of Dundee Archive Services
GB 254 UR-SF 21
Dates of Creation
[ca 1954]-[ca 1962]
Name of Creator
Major William Morton MacKay
1 folder (0.01 linear metres). The records are on paper.
Scope and Content
Miscellaneous calculations and experiments with numbers, carried out in spare time.
Administrative / Biographical History
William Morton MacKay was appointed to University College in 1923 as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and retired as Senior Lecturer in 1962. He died on 12 November 1971.
Records are arranged within series.
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act and any other appropriate legislation.
This collection was previously catalogued as Recs C/21.
Fonds level description compiled by Andrew Nicoll and revised by Sarah Chubb, Archives Hub Project Archivist, June 2002.
Other Finding Aids
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply.
The material is original.
Academic teaching personnel
MacKay William Morton d 1971 Major Senior Lecturer at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Queen's College, Dundee
University of St Andrews
Queen's College Dundee (Scotland)
- Military Service*: Major William Morton MacKay served with the Seaforth Highlanders between 1914 and 1918 at Mesopotamia, .2
- (Witness) Photograph: Major William Morton MacKay is in this photograph taken on 11 July 1936 along with Dr Douglas George Adamson MBChB MD FRCP consultant physician, Dundee contingent of St Andrews University O.T.C., led by Major W.M. Mackay, M.C., on their way to the station at Dundee to-day. They are camping at Blair Atholl.
(DGA thought to be 2nd left on 1st row of formation.)3
- Biography: Major William Morton MacKay MACKAY, William Morton. M.C., B.Sc., Dipl. R.T.C., A.M.I.E.E. Lecturer in Elect. Eng., Univ. Coll., Dundee. Private Address: Orwell Villa, 305 Clepington Road, Dundee. Age: 41. Trained Metropolitan-Vickers Elect. Co., Ltd; 1915-19, Seaforth Highlanders, Mesopotamia and Palestine; St. Andrews Univ. O.T.C., 1925 to date; since 1931, Bt. Major, in Command. in 1939.4
- Newspaper Article*: He was mentioned in a newspaper article War Office,
29th April, 1941.
The KING has been graciously pleased to
confer the Efficiency Decoration on the undermentioned Territorial Officers: —
SENIOR TRAINING CORPS.
St. Andrews University Contingent.
Major William Morton Mackay (32233) on 29 April 1941.5
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) JISC Archives Hub https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/179a727b-12da-3cca-b7d8-7dc395459637
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Dundee Courier Obituary Books [Oct 2020].
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Newspapers Collections Dundee Evening Telegraph [May 2019].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) Graces Guide https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1939_Who%27s_Who_In_Engineering:_Name_M
- [S32] Newspaper Article, London Gazette 29 April 1941 [Oct 2020].
Major William Morton MacKay1
M, #16917, b. 1896, d. 12 November 1971
Last Edited: 8 Nov 2020