- Birth*: James Ramsay was born on 4 March 1823 at Dunnichen, Forfarshire, Scotland.1
- He was the son of William Ramsay and Jean Lawrence.
- (Groom) Marriage*: James Ramsay married Mary Laing on 1 December 1844 at Dunnichen, Forfarshire, Scotland.1
- (Spouse) Death: His spouse Mary Laing died on 13 April 1859 at Victoria Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1859 deaths in the 1st district of the burgh of Dundee in the county of Forfar; ref 468; Ramsay or Laing Mary married; died 1859 April thirteenth earlier in the morning pricise hour unknown at Victoria Street; f 35 years; no parents recorded; cause suffocation as cert by Dr Cocks Dundee saw body soon after death; burial place not known; registered on the information of John Skinner for John B Baxter Procurator Fiscal, registered 1859 May 19th at Dundee signed Wm Fairweather registrar.2
- Newspaper Article*: James Ramsay and Mary Laing were mentioned in a newspaper article Death intimation : Suddenly, at Victoria Street, Dundee, on the 13tgh inst., Mary Henderson Laing, wife of James Ramsay - deeply regretted. on 22 April 1859 at Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland.3
- Newspaper Article: James Ramsay and Mary Laing were mentioned in a newspaper article Death intimation : Suddenly, at Victoria Street, Dundee, on the 13tgh inst., Mary Henderson Laing, wife of James Ramsay - deeply regretted. on 23 April 1859 at Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland.4
- (Informant) Birth: James Ramsay registered the birth of Louisa Ramsay on 30 December 1860 at Dunnichen, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1861 births in the parish of Dunnichen in the county of Forfar; ref 6; Louisa Ramsay (illegitimate); 1860 December thirteenth 1h 30m pm Letham; female, parents James Ramsay commercial merchant and Mary Janes domestic servant; signed Mary Janes Mother Jas Ramsay father commercial merchant Letham; registered 1861 January 14th at Letham Thomas Macbeth regstrar.5
- (Groom) Marriage*: James Ramsay married Mary Janes on 18 August 1865 at St Lawrence Jewry & St Mary Magdalene Milklondont, London, England; LDS M001461 [Jul 2008].
- (Erector) Memorial Inscription*: A Headstone was erected by James Ramsay in 1866 at Dunnichen Church, Letham, Forfarshire, Scotland. Inscription reads in memory of William Ramsay late manufacturer Letham who died 5 Oct 1863 aged 61 years; and his wife Jean Lawrence who died 17 Nov 1864 aged 78 years; also their son William who died in infancy Feb 1827. erected by their only surviving son James in affectionate memory ..; Mitchell Pre-1855 MI pg 75; Dunnichen #41 ob 1866. Wm Ramsay late manuf Letham 5.10.1863 61, w Jean Lawrence 17.11.1864 78, s Wm 2.1827 inf, by only surviving s Jas.6,7
- (Deceased) Death*: He died on 21 December 1868 at 4 Nelson Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, at age 45 1868 deaths in the district of St Andrews in the burgh of Dundee; James Ramsay linen merchant & manufacturer married to Mary Janes; died 1868 December twenty-first 5h 30m am 4 Nelson Street Dundee; male aged 45 years; parents William Ramsay linen manufacturer (dec) and Jean Ramsay ms Lawrence (dec); cause cancer of tongue ... months as cert by P Stevin surgeon; signed James Laing Ramsay son present; registered 1868 December 21 at Dundee signed James Scrimgeour registrar.8
- (Erector) Memorial Inscription: A Headstone was erected by James Ramsay in 1852 at Dunnichen Churchyard, Dunnichen, Forfarshire, Scotland. Inscription reads 1852 erected by James Ramsay and Mary Laing his spouse in memory of their son William James who died in Dundee the 14th April 1851 aged 5 years; also William James died 19th June 1857 aged 3 years 3 months and 6 days; Mary Laing died 13th April 1859 aged 37 years; James Ramsay died 21 Dec 1868 aged 45 years; James Laing died at Bathurst Africa 5 Nov 1874 aged 24 years.6
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), LDS [July 2008].
- [S50] Unknown subject, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland: General Record Office of Scotland), GROS Statutory Death 1859 Dundee ref 282/01 0468; image held [Jul 2008].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspapers and Periodicals Collection, Dundee Perth & Cupar Advertiser [May 2017].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspapers and Periodicals Collection, Dundee People's Journal [May 2017].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory births Dunnichen ref 283/00 0006 image held [Jul 2008].
- [S43] PCC photos held [Aug 2008].
- [S42] Alison Mitchell ed. Monumental Inscriptions pre-1855 Angus Strathmore vol 1, Scottish Genealogy Society, Edinburgh, first ed (1979, reprint 1993 & 1996) 0 901061 20 4 Mitchell Pre-1855 MI, Dunnichen, no 33 [Aug 2008].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS statutory deaths Dundee ref 282/04 0834 image held [Jul 2008].
Mother*: Jean Lawrence b. c Nov 1785, d. 17 Nov 1864