- Birth*: Robert Sinclair Paterson was born on 8 August 1893 at 4 Union Street, Lochee, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1893 births in the district of Lochee in the burgh of Dundee, ref 262; Robert Sinclair Paterson, 1893 August Eighth 3h 0m pm, 4 Union Street Lochee, m, father William Paterson furniture dealer, mother Ann Paterson ms Runciman, 1880 December 24th Dundee, informant Wm Paterson father, registered 1899 [sic] August 28 at Lochee J Robertson registrar.1
- He was the son of William Paterson and Ann Runciman.
- Milit-Beg: Robert Sinclair Paterson and David Paterson began military service in August 1914 joined up and allocated to the Electric Lights Company, City of Dundee (Fortress) Royal Engineers.2
- (Witness) Marriage: Robert Sinclair Paterson witnessed the marriage of David Paterson and Elizabeth Moonie Whitton on Friday, 11 December 1914 at St Luke's Manse, Lochee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1914, On the eleventh day of December at St Luke's Manse, Lochee, after banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland; signed David Paterson, electrical engineer (corporal (City of Dundee Royal Engineers)), bachelor, aged 24, 37 High Street, Lochee, parents William Paterson, house furnisher, Annie Paterson ms Runciman; signed Elizabeth Whitton, yarn winder, spinster, aged 22, 19 Park Avenue, Dundee, parents David Harris Whitton, stone quarrier, Catherine Whitton ms Johnston; signed Wm May, St Luke's Parish, Lochee, Dundee, signed Robert S Paterson, witness, Mary Paterson, witness; registered 1914 December 14th at Lochee, signed John Robertson Nicoll registrar.3,4,5
- Milit-End*: Robert Sinclair Paterson and David Paterson ended military service in 1919; was demobbed.2
- (Groom) Marriage*: Robert Sinclair Paterson married Margaret Rae Kinnear on 21 December 1923 at St Andrews, Bombay, India.6
- Business-Owner*: Robert Sinclair Paterson was owners of the business Kilpatrick & Co Ltd, Electrical Engineers and Contractors circa 1945 at 5 Albert Square, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.
- (Informant) Death*: He registered the death of Robert Sinclair Paterson on 9 June 1970 at Royal Infirmary, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.7,8
- Obituary: The obituary of Robert Sinclair Paterson was was published on 10 June 1970. Mr Robert S. Paterson dead: Mr Robert S. Paterson, 3a Norwood Terrace, Dundee, died last night in Dundee Roayl Infirmary.
Until his retiral a few years ago, Mr Paterson owned R. Kilpatrick & Co., Ltd., the electrical contracting and refrigeration firm at 5 Albert Square.
For 19 years until 1939 he was with the Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation. He became the corporation's sales manager.
Before Going to India he worked with Dundee Corporation.
When he returned to Dundee Mr Paterson became general manager of R. Kilpatrick & Co. He took over the business in 1953.
Mr Paterson was an A.M.I.E.E.
Before he went to India he played football for Arnot as a junior and turned out a few times for Dundee F.C. He also played football in Calcutta.
During the first world war he was C.Q.M.S. with the City of Dundee Royal Engineers and was decorated.
Mr Paterson was a member of Balgay Bowling Club. A past-president of the club, he was also a past-president of the ex-presidents' association.
Mr Paterson, who was a Rotarian, was a member of St John's (Cross) Church.
He is survived by his wife and his son and daughter.
His son is Mr Ian Paterson the well-known singer and actor, and his daughter Margaret is the sife of Dr G.W. Johnston, Aberdeen.8
[memo : A.M.I.E.E. = Associate Member of Institution of Electricial Engineers. C.Q.M.S. = Company Quartermaster Sergeant]
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), image held, GROS statutory births 282/05 0262, from CPT [May 2009].
- [S6] CPT [Mar 2011].
- [S25] Unknown author C Turnham, n.pub., n.p., unknown edition (unknown publish date) unknown isbn CPT.
- [S26] Unknown author Robert Whitton, n.pub., n.p., unknown edition (unknown publish date) unknown isbn www.robertwhitton.eu.
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), Original document: extracted from the register book of marriages for the district of Lochee in the burgh of Dundee, 14th December 1914 [CPT Sept 2009].
- [S6] From CPT [Sept 2009] & CPT handwritten tree [Sept 2010].
- [S6] From CPT [Dec 2009] & CPT handwritten tree [Sept 2010].
- [S40] Newspaper cutting from Courier & Advertiser - from CPT [July 2011].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS 1901 [Aug 2005].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS census 1911 282/05 011/00 004 [Jun 2011].
Robert Sinclair Paterson
Mother*: Ann Runciman b. 19 Jun 1859, d. 17 Oct 1932