- Birth*: John Dickson was born on 18 October 1893 at 4 Lowdens Allley, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1893 births in the district of St Peter in the burgh of Dundee, ref 730; John Dickson, 1893 October eighteenth 8h 15m am 4 Lowdens Alley Dundee; male; parents John Dickson calendar worker and Eliza Jane Dickson ms McManus, m 1888 January 2nd Dundee, informant Eliza Jane Dickson mother, registered 1893 October 31st at Dundee Dav Young assistant registrar initialed JY.1,2,3
- He was the son of John Dickson and Eliza Jane McManus.
- (Groom) Marriage*: John Dickson married Helen Reid Small, daughter of William Small and Margaret Ireland, on 13 August 1920 at 161 Overgate, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1920 marriages in the district of St Mary & St Peter in the burgh of Dundee; ref 355; 1920 on the thirteenth day of August at 161 Overgate Dundee after banns according to the forms of the Established Church of Scotland; John Dickson confectioner & fruiterer bachelor, 26; 27 Isles Lane Dundee; parents John Dickson calendar worker Elizabeth Jane Dickson ms McManus; Helen Reid Small jute spinner spinster, 24, 62 Ferry Road Dundee; parents William Small iron borer Margaret Small ms Ireland; signed William Hall, Balgay, witnesses James Flynn, Margaret Small; 1920 August 16th at Dundee Tho Meek registrar.4
- (Deceased) Death*: John Dickson died in 1961 at Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, .5
- (Witness) Photograph: He is in this photograph taken circa 1913 along with John Dickson, Eliza Jane McManus, Eliza Jane Dickson, Euphemia Dickson, Margaret Chalmers Dickson, Alexander Young Dickson, David Marr Dickson, James D Dickson, Peter Buick Dickson and Martin Fraser Dickson.6
- (Witness) Photograph: John Dickson is in this photograph taken circa 1914 at Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, , along with Eliza Jane Dickson, Euphemia Dickson, Margaret Chalmers Dickson, Alexander Young Dickson and David Marr Dickson.6Dickson family : Standing L-R : Alexander Young (b1899), Eliza Jane McManus (b1869), somebody, Euphemia (b1891), David Marr (b1901)
Middle Seated on chairs L-R : somebody, John (1893), Margaret Chalmers (b1896)
Seated at front L-R : somebody, somebody
If you happen to know who the 'somebodies' are, please get in touch!
- Newspaper Article*: John Dickson was mentioned in a newspaper article Daily Record: The following list was issued at Perth on Sunday night:-
4th Black Watch
Wounded - ... 1449 Pte. J. Dickson, 29 Isles Lane, Dundee - admitted to hospital at Edgbaston with severe gunshot wound in left arm ... on 27 May 1915 at Hospital, Edgbaston, England, .7
- Milit-End*: He ended military service on 26 September 1917; Dickson, John; R Highns 7th Bn; reg no 292881, rank pte, Date of Disharge 26.9.17, enlistment 31.5.12; cause of discharge Para 392 (XVI), KR, wounds, Para B1; Action taken List TG.380, cancelled, resubmitted List TG.392.8
- (Witness) Marriage: He witnessed the marriage of Alexander Young Dickson and Mary Keith Paterson Johnston hotelier on Saturday, 23 August 1919 at 27 Bank Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1919 marriages in the district of St Clement in the burgh of Dundee, ref 451; 1919 on the 23rd day of August at 27 Bank Street Dundee by declaration in the presence of John Dickson millworker and Helen Reid Small jute spinner, signed Alexander Y Dickson jute mill oiler bachelor, 20, 1 Lowdens Alley Dundee, fath John Dickson callander worker, moth Elizabeth Jane Dickson ms McManus; Mary J Paterson jute preparer spinster, 18, 1 Lowdens Alley Dundee, fath John Paterson baker journeyman, moth Euphemia Paterson ms Stewart (dec), warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Forfarshire dated August 23rd 1919, reg 1919 August 25th at Dundee Alex Buchan registrar. Stamped Divorce reg corr entries vol 19 # 102 (162?)9
- (Informant) Death: John Dickson registered the death of John Dickson on 12 April 1954 at 27 Isle's Lane, Dundee, Angus, Scotland, ; Deaths in the district of Dundee West in the burgh of Dundee, ref 369; John Dickson jute calender worker (retired) widower of Eliza Jane McManus died 1954 April 12th 10h 0 m PM, 27 Isle's Lane, Dundee, aged 84 years; father Alexander Dickson, shoemaker (deceased); mother Margaret Dickson ms Chalmers (deceased); cardiovascular degeneration 6 months as certified by D Simpson MBChB; informant John Dickson son, 44 Clepington Road, Dundee; registered 1954 April 13th at Dundee A C Marshall Assist Registrar, initialled J E Lekey.10
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory births 282/01 0730 [Jul 2011].
- [S40] From DMcL [Mar 2010].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GRO ref 282-2 Enum Dist 9 page 46.
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), image held; statutory marriages 282/01 0355; [Jan 2009].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), probably - GROS ref 282/02 0379 1961, m, 67, Dundee West [Feb 2009].
- [S47] Ancestry.com Ancestry Public Member Trees, Name: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date:2006;, DLM [April 2017].
- [S54] Website findmypast.co.uk (www.findmypast.co.uk) Newspapers & Periodicals collection [April 2017].
- [S126] Website The National Archives (of the UK) (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/?letter=&search=&research-category=online) this via Facebook member Bryan Johncock on UK Military Genealogy and Photograph Identification Group; 1917 John Dickson 292881 30850_A000446-00676 [April 2017].
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, image heldGROS 1919 St Clement 0451 [Aug 2005].
- [S11] DCC Registry Office: Statutory Deaths 1954 Dundee West 369 [March 2002], Dundee City Council Registrar, Commercial Street, Dundee, Angus, Scotland. Hereinafter cited as DCC Registry Office.
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, census 1901 2/5/01 009/01 046.
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS census 1911 282/01 017/00 017 [Apr 2011].
Mother*: Eliza Jane McManus b. 24 May 1869, d. 14 Mar 1939
Adamson, Susan c1799 descendants
Chalmers, Robert c1823 descendants
Conlin, Patrick c 1795 descendants
Dickson, David c1795 descendants
Dickson, Mary c1795 descendants
Henderson, Mary c1810 descendants
Madden, James c1799 descendants
McManus, John c1810 descendants
Strain, Sarah c1795 descendants
Young, Margaret c1824 descendants