- Birth*: Susan Lyall Guthrie was born circa 1840.
- (Bride) Marriage*: She married John Shiell, son of William Shiell and Mary Russell, on 24 July 1863 at Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland.
- Married Name: As of 24 July 1863, her married name was Shiell.
- Event-Misc*: John Shiell and Susan Lyall Guthrie had their photograph taken with many of their children William Shiell, Helen Scott Shiell, David Guthrie Shiell, Susan Mary Shiell, John Shiell, Herbert Shiell, Catherine Jane Shiell, Arnold Shiell, Robert Shiell, Buchanan Shiell, Alexander Guthrie Shiell and Lyall Guthrie Shiell circa 1887.
- (Spouse) Death: Her spouse John Shiell died on 21 June 1912 at Latch Road, Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1912 deaths in the district of Brechin in the county of Forfar, ref 74; John Shiell, Solicitor before Supreme Court, married to Susan Lyall Guthrie, died 1912 June Twenty-first 11h 0m pm Latch Road Brechin, male aged 70, parents William Shiell Clerk of Session (dec) and Mary Russell (dec), cause senile decay, syncope, as certified by LB Adams MD; signed David G Shiell, son, Dalhousie Lodge, Edzell, regsitered 1912 June 22nd at Brechin Chas V Mills registrar.1
- (Deceased) Death*: Susan Lyall Guthrie died after 28 August 1914 from Lyall Guthrie's Attestation papers.2
- (Bride) Marriage*: Susan Lyall Guthrie married John Shiell, son of William Shiell and Mary Russell, on 24 July 1863 at Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland.
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Death 1912 Brechin, ref 74.
- [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Ancestry.com. British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
War Office: Soldiers’ Documents, First World War ‘Burnt Documents’ (Microfilm Copies); (The National Archives Microfilm Publication WO363); Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies; The National Archives of the UK (TNA), Kew, Surrey, England. [Jan 2011]
- [S30] LDS 1881 Census.
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland).
Susan Lyall Guthrie
Helen Scott Shiell b. 18 May 1866, d. 1941
David Guthrie Shiell+ b. 25 Nov 1868, d. 22 Mar 1914
Susan Mary Shiell b. 10 Apr 1871, d. 1943
John Shiell b. 17 May 1873
Herbert Shiell b. c 1874
Catherine Jane Shiell b. 1876
Arnold Shiell+ b. c 1878, d. a 1939
Robert Shiell b. c 1880
Buchanan Shiell+ b. c 1882, d. a 23 Jul 1956
Alexander Guthrie Shiell b. c 1883
Lyall Guthrie Shiell b. c 1885, d. bt Jul 1972 - Sep 1972