- Birth*: John Shiell was born on 17 May 1873 at Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland, .
- He was the son of John Shiell and Susan Lyall Guthrie.
- (Witness) Photograph: John Shiell is in this photograph taken circa 1887 along with John Shiell, Susan Lyall Guthrie, William Shiell, Helen Scott Shiell, David Guthrie Shiell, Susan Mary Shiell, Herbert Shiell, Catherine Jane Shiell, Arnold Shiell, Robert Shiell, Buchanan Shiell, Alexander Guthrie Shiell and Lyall Guthrie Shiell.1
- Milit-Beg*: John Shiellwas a trouper in the Boer War between 1899 and 1900 at Africa, .2
- [S40] RS [Jan 2012].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) Muster Rolls of Angus Boer War 1899-1900 online at www.monikie.org.uk.
- [S30] LDS 1881 Census.
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland).
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), RS [Jan 2012].
Mother*: Susan Lyall Guthrie b. c 1840, d. a 28 Aug 1914